Friday, January 14, 2011

Un Chingo of Work to Do

Yesterday, while writing the recipe for Frijoles de Olla (our house beans) I came across a word I didn't know so I plugged it into Google Translator. The list of ingredients called for un chingo de sal. It's some sort of measurement for salt but "what's a chingo?" I wondered. Turns out it's a shitload. Literally. I laughed. I'll have to ask Joe or the Lolas if they can be more specific. Though maybe we should leave it like that--those kinds of measurements work for Jamie Oliver.

Today I wrote the recipes for Cucumber and Carrot Coleslaw and Rice Pudding, bringing the grand total of completed dishes to 17. If I'm to stay on my target I need to get another three recipes done by the end of the week.

I had a couple of friends from Provincetown staying with me earlier in the week, so instead of writing I was hitting the beach with them and downing copious amounts of tequila. Por que no? Kelly and William are on a three-month journey through Mexico, Central and South America. You can follow their blog at http://whereintheworld-wk.blogspot.com/. I can't wait to find out
how the 356 hour bus trip from Guadalajara through Mexico City then on to Oaxaca turns out.

Anyway, back to the chingo of work I have on my plate.

Last time I posted the recipe for Mean Joe's Greens thinking
everyone could use a little veggie and some fiber in their diets following the glutinous holiday season. Now that that's over, lets indulge again with this totally delicious (almost scandalous) dessert recipe. We keep in the fridge upstairs by the waiter station and some staff members (I won't say who) nick small bowls of it and eat it undercover. It's has the texture of pudding when it's cold and is a toss-up as to which way is better.

At Joe Jack's we serve it hot with a small bowl of whipped cream and rum (which we pour the chocolate mixture over) and a few little almond cookies.

Mexican Hot Chocolate

1 orange

4 cups (1 L) whole milk

1/2 cup (125 mL) heavy cream (35%)

1/4 cup (50 mL) granulated sugar

2 Chiles de Árbol or 1/2 tsp (2 mL) crushed red chili flakes
1 cinnamon stick

1 Tbsp. (15 mL) whole cloves

1/4 tsp (1 mL) black peppercorns

1 lb. (500 g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped

1/2 cup (125 mL) cocoa

1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) vanilla

Peel rind from orange with a vegetable peeler and add to a large stockpot with milk, cream, chilies, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns and sugar. Slowly bring mixture to a boil then remove from heat.


Place chocolate in a bowl and pour cream mixture through a mesh sieve to catch spices. Stir mixture until chocolate melts and all the cream is incorporated. Stir in cocoa and vanilla. Refrigerate until ready to serve.


Heat about 1/4 cup (50 mL) of the chocolate mixture per person in a nonstick pot or sauté pan, stirring constantly to prevent it from scorching. Pour chocolate mixture into small cups and serve with a spoon.







No comments:

Post a Comment