Saturday, January 22, 2011

That's Not My Name


At work the other day Joe says to me, "Ryan how long have we known each other? Over a year, right?"

"Ah, ya. That's right," I said.

"So what's my last name?" he asked.

A trick question I thought, so I paused a moment then replied, "Richards".

Joe shook his head in that distasteful way when he's appalled at the ignorance of someone.

"No? It's not Richards," I said.

"Richard is my middle name. Jack is my last name," he said.

I had edited a press release for him earlier in the week and changed several attributions to "Richards says"--tipping Joe off on my supreme lack of knowledge. I am writing a cookbook for the man after all. I should know his name.

My friend Paulina, and one of Joe's favorite employees was standing at the bar when this happened. I laugh as I tell her that I thought Joe's last name was Richards.

Her face is blank.

"Isn't that his last name?" she asks me.

Wasn't just me then. I feel a little less stupid.

The first lesson I ever learned in journalism school was that if you ever got someone's name wrong in a story you automatically failed. No question.

Good thing nothing's been sent off to printer at this point. And for your reference his full name is Joe Richard Jack.

Paulina and I both agree that Joe Jack Richards rolls off the tongue much nicer.

Anyway, here's the recipe for Spinach and Artichoke Dip--perfect for a Super Bowl party or something similar I suppose. It's damn tasty is all I know. Test it out and let me know what you think.

Spinach and Artichoke Dip

Makes 4 to 6 servings


2-1 lb. bags (1 kg.) spinach

3 Tbsp. (45 mL) butter

2 Tbsp. (30 mL) finely chopped onion

1 clove garlic, minced

1/4 cup (50 mL) all-purpose flour

2 cups (500 mL) heavy cream (35%)

2 tsp (10 mL) fresh lime juice

1 tsp (5 mL) Tobasco sauce

1 tsp (5 mL) salt

3/4 cup (175 mL) grated parmesan cheese

2/3 cup (150 mL) grated Gouda cheese

1/2 cup (125 mL) sour cream

1 jar artichoke hearts, chopped

Tortilla chips for serving


Preheat oven to 400˚F (205˚C).


Remove large stems from spinach and steam for 1 to 2 minutes. When cool enough to handle bunch spinach into balls and squeeze out excess water (spinach must be very dry). Chop and set aside.


Melt butter in a large sauté pan. Add garlic and onion and cook for 3 to 5 minutes or until onion softens. Sprinkle flour over onions and stir with a wooden spoon, cooking flour mixture for about 1 minute.


Slowly whisk in heavy cream, a little at a time, whisking constantly to prevent lumps. Bring slowly to a boil to thicken mixture, then add lime juice, Tobasco, salt and parmesan cheese. Remove from heat and add Gouda, sour cream, artichokes and reserved spinach, stirring to combine.


Pour spinach mixture into an oven-proof dish and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until dip is hot and bubbly. Serve with tortilla chips.

No comments:

Post a Comment