Monday, January 3, 2011

Mean Joe's Greens


I could think of much worse places to write. Thisis the view from my work station and where the words for Joe Jack's cookbook will be digitized. It's also where I watch Spanish soaps and countless episodes of any of the CSI franchise when I need a break.

The garden is progressing nicely. The cilantro seeds I planted a couple weeks ago are now sprouts about 3 inches high, while the rest is my roommate Alfonso's doing, for which I can't take credit but enjoy nonetheless.

True to my word I woke up this morning, brewed a pot of coffee and came up here to bang out a few recipes. I've managed to get three done--2 salads and a ceviche--and since it's the New Year and many of us over-indulged during the holidays, the one I'm including today is for Mean Joe's Greens. A fantastic salad to help us detox, or at least get some fiber in our diets.

So please test it out and let me know how you like it. These recipes are all Joe's but I'm translating them from Spanish and adapting them to make at home. At the restaurant the Lolas (ladies who prep everything) make the vinaigrette in huge quantities so I've had to scale the ingredients down and make adjustments to suit 4 people instead of 40. As well, the greens and veggies at the restaurant aren't measured, the cooks just "eye" everything, so I've had to come up with those measurements on my own.

So go guinea pigs, get out there and start cooking. I need your feedback.

MEAN JOE'S GREENS
Serves 4

Vinaigrette
1/4 cup (50 mL) fresh lime juice
2 shallots, peeled and minced
1 1/2 tsp (7 mL) granulated sugar
1 tsp (5 mL) red wine vinegar
1 tsp (5 mL) Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp (2 mL) salt
1 1/2 cups (375 mL) extra virgin olive oil

Salad
2 heads Boston lettuce
1 head radicchio
1 cup (250 mL) arugula
2 plum tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and thinly sliced
1/2 field cucumber, peeled, sliced lengthwise then cut into half moons

To make the dressing whisk together lime juice, shallots, sugar, vinegar, mustard and salt in a medium-sized bowl. Slowly drizzle in olive, whisking vigorously until combined. Refrigerate until ready to use.

To assemble salad wash and dry the lettuce, radicchio and arugula then place in a large bowl with tomatoes, carrot slices and chopped cucumber. Pour over enough of the vinaigrette to coat the salad then toss evenly and serve.


1 comment:

  1. I'll definitely try this next week, since it's about time I start my new year's diet! In my defence, I've been sick as a dog with a bad cold and have only been able to eat soft food. Granted, that soft food didn't have to be ice cream and Lipton's side dishes, but I'm only human.

    ReplyDelete