Friday, May 21, 2010

Today, Tomorrow and the Next

The Patio's opening party last night was a whopping success and a lot of fun. They through me on the satellite bar mostly pouring wine and beer and mixing simple cocktails. I sold $1200 in less than three hours and pretty much solidified my spot there this summer. I churned out more drinks than the main bar and outsold them too. And so far, it seems, The Patio's opening party was one of the best this season.

We made sure people got fed. At a lot of the other parties I attended this week the food played second fiddle to the cash bar. Some cheese trays at one. A few cupcakes at another. The Patio on the other hand shucked 500 oysters, served lobster roll crostinis, tuna tartar and a bunch of other hors d'oeuvres I didn't get to try. I did wolf down half a dozen mounds of lobster salad from the crostinis and a few fresh oysters. Then washed it all down with a giant caipirinha (Brazilian booze, lime and shuga). All in all a good night.

Then, I hit the ground running this morning and started training at 10am. My shift ended at 9pm. A bit of a wild day learning the computer system, the food menu, cocktails, how the kitchen works, where everything is stored, how to set up the place and tear it down, what coworkers to avoid and those I should make friends with.

Exhausting really. But energizing too.

The Patio is definitely going to be busy this summer and I'm going to be working a l0t.

Perfect. It'll keep me out of trouble. Mostly.

I'd like to elaborate but another episode of The Golden Girls is on and it's like religion around Eastland, so I've gotta go.

Oh, and I think we're getting up at 6:45am for high tide to put Ursula (Eastland-boy Kevin's new ski/fishing/leisure/party boat) into the water. Or at least someone's getting up that early.

If I know what's good for me I'll be up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment