Monday, May 10, 2010

Brace yourself Ptown: Here I Come


"Your imagination is your preview of life's coming attractions." Albert Einstein

I came across this gem of wisdom last night while reading my weekly horoscope. I consider Georgia Nicols (www.georgianicols.com) my personal astrologist and look to her Sunday email blast as the barometer for my week, month and year ahead.

The Einstein quote rings true. How do you imagine yourself and what do you see in your future? (Sorry if this is sounding a little like The Secret.)

A little back story to get you up to speed. While working and playing in Mexico this past winter I got the idea that a purely hedonistic lifestyle is not just a helluva good time but also entirely achievable. You don't get any closer to hedonism than living in a vacation town, where everyone is relaxed and happy and in search of the "best night ever!". So, in four days time I'm setting off for Provincetown, Massachusetts and another season by the sea. And all I really have is my imagination.

No job and no bed. Yet. Nothing for sure except the great unknown. And how much fun is that? It's the greatest stew of feelings: fear, excitement and anticipation all bundled up in a few suitcases and my Mazda 3. But to tell the truth I'm not going into this without a couple pages of crib notes in my pocket. I'm staying with a friend until I find a roof of my own and I have at least some lukewarm leads on jobs. I'm not worried.

People often ask how I was able to spend four months in Vallarta. My answer, "If you want something bad enough you make it happen." Sounds simple and it is. Or can be. It was in Mexico and I'm hopeful my lucky streak will continue.

At least that's my tone now. We'll all know soon enough how simple it is for me to land a job in a restaurant or bar. A winery maybe? Hell, hauling lobster traps even. Who knows? At this point I've only imagined myself dancing around a beach fire, roasting corn, slurping back fresh oysters and downing a few micro brews. That's not a bad start.

No comments:

Post a Comment