Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Day 2 Ptown

Here I am freezing. It's 9:41am. I'm drinking coffee and watching Regis and Kelly with my roomies. Well, my short term roomies anyway. The coffee's strong and the company moving a bit slow. Myself included.

Freezing because in Fahrenheit it's 54 degrees outside. Raining and windy. That's about 12 Celcius or just plain damn cold. The weather combined with the events of last night are making for a quiet morning. Though the second pot of coffee is definitely helping.

But let me back things up a little and show you some pics from the last few days. I arrived in Provincetown on Monday at about 5pm after a beautiful drive through Vermont and New Hampshire. The sun was shining and the music loud; perfect driving.

As soon as I rolled into town I made it to the beach and snapped this shot. Today doesn't look like this outside. Doesn't matter, that ocean and all its bounty are still there.


Next move was to grab a beer of course so I found the closest bar, The Crown and Anchor where I cozied up and ordered a Stella. My friend Will arrived not long after, shaking his head.

"Why y'all sittin' in here paying for drinks when they're serving free food and cocktails next door?" he asked in his North Carolina accent.

What could I say to that? We headed across the bar into another room where Absolut was holding a tasting for industry folk. I'm not industry yet, but I'm working on it. The vodka girls were mixing up cosmos and muddling cocktails using Absolut Citron, madarin and the new acai berry flavour. (I'll find out what acai berries are and tell you tomorrow. I think Oprah has something to do with its sudden popularity.)

At the muddling bar you got to choose ingredients from a long lineup of fresh berries, mint and limes, mush it up yourself then hand it to the bartender who would add the Absolut Acai then finish it with whatever mix you fancied.

I liked the combo of mint, lime and blueberries topped with lemonade and soda and a healthy shot of Absolut.

If the weather clears at all today I'm going to get some resumes printed and hit the streets. I've got a few leads on jobs and need to follow up on them. But I'm quickly learning how this town works. You need to meet people and talk to people and I've definitely been doing that. Three parties in two days and another one lined up for tonight.

The lead up to Memorial Day weekend is when all the local bars, restaurants and guest houses throw their opening parties, serving up free food and free drinks. Or at least cheap drinks. And because things like jobs and housing happen by word of mouth and recommendation in this town, I've got to be at these parties. The hardest work, I tell ya.

Okay, I gotta go. It's now 12:35pm and I've been writing this post for the last three hours but the cobwebs are clearing and so is the weather. It's time to get things done but I want to share a few more photos before I sign off today.

This is Eastland (The Facts of Life anyone?) where six of my newest friends are living for the summer and where I'm staying until I find a roof of my own. Eastland is across the street from the beach and possibly my new favourite place in town.

Below is my giant plate of fried oysters that I enjoyed yesterday for lunch. We drove out to Wellfleet, about 20 minutes down the Cape to a roadside resto called JP's. Or PJ's. One of those. The plate must have had more than a pound of deep fried oysters, chip wagon style fries, creamy slaw and a crispy dinner roll. A great way to start my food journey this summer.

And below is Kelly, one of Will's housemates slurping down a 1 1/4 pound lobster and getting the deal of the day, paying less than $20. He ate everything. Even the shell.

I would have too.





No comments:

Post a Comment