Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Hodgepodge of Happenings




It's the beginning of the end. This is my last week of work at the Shack. Three months has flown by in a blur of red snapper, mojitos and coconut pie. I'm going to miss that place but I'm also ready for a new adventure. The wheels are in motion but I'm not disclosing my next destination until I tell my parents.

I'm 33 years old and yet I feel I need to let them know before they read it on the internet. They're coming to PV April 2nd so I'll tell them in person. Not that they will try to talk me out of anything I want to do but I did get an email from my mom this morning. It read:

"Hope things are still going great with you and Mexico is still the place you want to be. Hard to believe that you have been gone so long, and yet it has gone by rather quickly (miss you close by though). "

Kinda tugs at my heartstrings.

I'll only be back in Toronto for the better part of a month before heading out again to explore the food scene in another beach town for a few months. The beginning of another great adventure. But don't worry, you're all invited to tag along for all the delicious details. Well, most of them anyway.

On another note, and to change the subject, I just submitted a piece to Holmes magazine (Mike Holmes that is) on everything a guy needs to know about steak. It's 2000 words on cows, cuts, cooking and the mountain of beefy stuff you should know about man's favourite meal. It'll be published in an upcoming issue--I'll be sure to let you know when it hits newsstands.

And speaking of steak, have I mentioned how good the one at Joe Jack's is? It makes my list of new favourites in PV.

Five Pepper Steak: Actually it's 10 peppers. The 8 oz. filet mignon is first seasoned with 5 peppercorns (white, black, green, pink and Szechuan) and grilled then topped with a sauce made from 5 peppers (moron, hungaros, guerros, poblanos and guajillo). I dream of this steak.

Taco Rellano: A stuffed poblano pepper with octopus and shrimp, deep fried then made into a taco. Ridiculously good. Located on Aguacate between Cardenas and Caranza. When I remember the name I'll update this post.

Churros: Deep fried, star-shaped tubes of doughnut, rolled in cinnamon sugar from the vendor outside the clock tower church on Aguacate. They cost 1 peso each and wolfing down 10 on my way home from work is never an issue.

Mi Cafe Sandwich: The signature sandwich at this new cafe just a block from my house is killer. Fresh ciabatta stuffed full of turkey, pesto, shredded carrot, cucumer, cheese and served with three house-made sauces (garlic, chipotle and creamy basil) along with crispy wedge potatoes and fresh fruit.

Citrus Cloud: One of the best desserts I've eaten. Maybe anywhere. Ever. Lime-licked custard cooked in a ramekin like a creme brule would be, except where the brule should be is a soft and delicate sponge cake. The signature dessert at Archie's Wok, one of my favourite restos in PV serving up some of the best Thai food I've ever had.

Choco Banana: Frozen bananas from this eponymous corner cafe get dipped in chocolate and rolled in a myriad of toppings like coconut or chopped pecans. Simply perfect.

Victoria: a Vienna-style amber beer from the makers of Corona it's refreshingly malty with a good hoppy flavour to boot. The best part? You can buy a 60 oz. bottle at Bolero (local bar for Joe Jack's staff) for 50 pesos.

No comments:

Post a Comment