Monday, April 20, 2009

Lattes in Leslieville, Breakfast in Bed


As a hedonist I think it’s important to keep things real so I’m writing this post from the comfort of my queen size. It’s now well past noon. When my alarm sounded at 8am I snoozed it, then I reset it for 8:30am, before turning it off completely. I don’t know why I set alarms for days when I don’t have to get up? It’s really just an exercise in guilt.

But I don’t feel guilty. There’s a steady stream of rain coming down outside my bedroom window and Jack (my three year-old Boston terrier) has done little more than reposition herself (yes, Jack’s a girl) for comfort over the last few hours. She’s not a fan of getting wet and is much happier passing the day under a goose down duvet (yes, under) than traversing puddles and squatting in damp patches of grass.

I’ve learned a lot from her over the years.

So what does this lazy-ass attempt at writing have to do with food? Or booze? Does it fall into the “beyond” category?

I am enjoying a delicious café latte intermittently between key strokes. That must count for something. Nothing makes me happier than starting my day with a latte—and it just so happens to be the way 90% of my mornings (or afternoons, on occasion) get started. And while I’ve never been a professional barista, my technique for making Italian coffees is down right passable. I mean, I could get a job at Starbucks if I wanted.

I was out for coffee with my friend Ryan yesterday and he introduced me to a fantastic place in Leslieville. Of course some of the details, like the name of this out-of-the-way spot, seem to escape me. (But thanks to Robin who commented below, it's Merchants of Green Coffee) Tucked away on a warehouse-y street beside the Don Valley Parkway, just north of Queen Street, this charming café buys only fair trade coffee and roasts its own beans daily. You’ll never be drinking brew from yesterday’s roast. While that might not mean much to some people, it ensures the best cup of Joe possible, as the longer coffee beans sit around after roasting the more bitter they become.

It’s like holding your mom’s purse while she shops for sweatshirts at Cotton Ginny. Just kidding, love you mom.

But I digest. . .

Wood beams, old plank floors, red velvet curtains and a smattering of round tables and cushion-y benches combine to create a warm and completely unpretentious atmosphere.

My companion raved about this place’s macchiato so he ordered one for himself and I stuck to my usual, a latte. If I was going to judge this spot (and I was) I needed a solid baseline from which I could establish my opinion. I’m not a huge fan of foam and I steer clear of cappuccinos for that reason. I’m also a creature of habit, especially where beverages are concerned.

I’ve never enjoyed a macchiato before, but after tasting Ryan’s yesterday, I’m a convert. What a magnificent bevy—all strong and espresso-like but with just a bit of steamed milk to soften the acidic and bitter edges.

My latte tasted great—all creamy, with hints of dark chocolate and roasted nuts—but it was closer to a cappuccino, arriving with much more foam than a latte should. It’s when I brought this up that Ryan laid out the Italian coffee guide for me. You see his dad used to own a coffee shop so he’s well versed in the proper proportions of espresso to milk. I’m passing on this handy-dandy guide so that you too can judge the barista skills of others. Or make kick-ass coffee at home. Whichever makes you happy.

Americano

Prepared by adding hot water to an already extracted espresso. This destroys the crema (creamy foam) and is different from an extra-long espresso which is called a lungo. Flavour and taste vary depending on how many shots of espresso (single or double) and how much water is added.

Cappuccino

Prepared with 1/3 espresso, 1/3 steamed milk and 1/3 foam.

Latte

An American invention no less, the latte is prepared with 1/3 espresso and 2/3 steamed milk with a small layer of foam. A ghetto latte is created by a cheap MF who orders an espresso in a tall cup than uses the free milk at the café to build his own latte.

Macchiato

Macchiato simply means “marked” or “stained” and it refers to a shot of espresso that’s stained with a small amount of steamed milk, about a 1 tsp. (5 mL) or so.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure you're talking about Merchants of Green Coffee. I tried to check it out a few years ago when they seemed to be less established as a cafe; I couldn't find an unlocked door to get in despite signs and smells promising delicious coffee. But I've heard great things since, and now will make a point of trying again!
    Thanks for the tips on the finer points of espresso bevvies.
    Stay warm & dry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous of you and your bed-loitering ways.

    ReplyDelete