Thursday, January 15, 2009

Ask a Foodie


People are more curious and knowledgeable about all things food and drink and I get a lot of questions thrown my way. I love "playing" the expert, so keep 'em coming. Nothing's too silly or seemingly simple. Here’s a few doozies that I answered in the most recent issue of 2: The Magazine for Couples.

Q: What are some easy appetizers or hors d’oeuvres I can make at the last minute?

A: A slice of English cucumber with a dollop of pesto and some softened goat cheese is always a good last-minute snack to serve drop-ins. Or, pile some clean and dry strawberries (caps still attached) on a platter. Drizzle with sambucca and sprinkle with freshly grated black pepper, then stand back and enjoy the oohs and aahs of your guests.

For something a little flashier and carnivorous grill up some Mojito Lamb Popsicles. Slice between the bones on a rack of lamb to produce individual “popsicles” then marinate in a mixture of 2 parts lime juice, 1 part rum, a handful of chopped fresh mint and a spoonful or two of sugar (unrefined is preferred) for at least an hour. Season with a little salt and pepper then grill a few minutes per side and serve tapas style. Make an extra mojito for yourself.

Q: I keep hearing to wash my veggies before I prepare a meal. What does this consist of? Is rinsing enough? Or what kind of soap is safe to use?

A: Briskly rubbing fruit and veggies with your hands under cold tap water is generally effective in removing most dirt and surface microorganisms. Never use detergents or bleach as produce is porous and will absorb the chemicals. You can buy all-natural veggie wash sprays in most major grocery stores that are effective in removing wax, soil, chemicals and pesticides but nothing is 100% guaranteed. Make friends with local farmers who have good, sustainable practices and buy directly from them when you can. You should also prepare produce on a separate surface than you use to cut raw meat and remember, if something looks bad, it probably is, so don’t put it in your mouth.

Q: What is duck confit? I’ve seen it on restaurant menus and want to try it but I’m a little apprehensive.

A: Confit means to preserve and it’s one of the oldest methods of storing cooked meat without refrigeration. Though no longer needed for its preserving power, it’s still popular because of its delicious flavour. Duck confit is the leg, salted and herbed then cooked slowly, submerged in the fowl’s rendered fat. After which it can be cooled then stored in the fat. Good confit should have crispy skin, succulent and fork-tender flesh that’s packed with flavour but doesn’t feel oily in your mouth. And no, it’s not Jenny Craig approved.

Q: My mother-in-law takes great pleasure in my kitchen disasters. What can I do to shut her up for good?

A: French cooking always impresses, but so does confidence. Turn your disasters into show-pieces with a little imagination and quick thinking—a sprig of fresh herbs and a dollop of something can go a long way to mask most flaws. If that fails use the grandkids as pawns.

What do you want to know? Post a question — I’ll answer it on my blog but it also might end up in the next issue of 2.

3 comments:

  1. Seriously? There's a magazine for couples?

    I have a question: I'm a single gal who can whip up a fantastic meal for friends, but I find it a challenge to be as creative when I'm just cooking for one. I tend to short-change myself and settle for a sandwich or open a boring can of soup. Do you have any tips for single gourmands?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Motivation is the one thing that holds single gourmands back. When you're preparing a meal for others, that motivation comes easily, but can be hard to conjure when it's just one.

    Being prepared is my best advice. Weekly shopping based around a meal plan can do wonders. When there's fresh veggies and meat in the fridge that are ear-marked for a specific dinner, preparing that meal is easy. It means you have to sit down and write up a grocery list based on how many meals you think you'll make in the coming week and having set dishes you want to prepare. It makes shopping a breeze because you've got a plan, and it saves money because you don't wind up buying random items that don't go together and then end up throwing them out a week later.

    Flip through cookbooks, magazines and go online for recipes to inspire you, then make a shopping list to suit. Once the food is there you'll feel too guilty not to cook it.

    I also like to split up my meat purchases when I get home and freeze portions of chicken etc. that I won't be using right away. Large portion dishes like casseroles are great to make ahead and freeze in single portions, that way when there's nothing in the fridge to make, a homemade meal is just waiting for the microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great advice - I must admit I'm a rather random grocery shopper, so I'll try to get myself all organized for next week! Thanks, Ryan.

    ReplyDelete